Levi Randall
February 22nd, 2018
Marketing


Case Study Write-Up

     I decided to do my case-study on Cheerios.  I was inspired to do a case study on this company after seeing a charming YouTube video that incorporates their slogan "Good Goes 'Round."  The video incorporated important elements of everyday life, from sisters bonding, to kids playing hockey.  Latrell James Boyd was the artist for the song, and viewers of the video had nothing but positive things to say about it.  Many people talked about how catchy the video was, saying things like "It's been stuck in my head all day," and "I sing this song all the time now."  I can personally attest to the "catchiness" of the song, because after I watched the video I caught myself humming or singing the tune periodically throughout the day.  The video also does a good job of creating a sense of community and connection with Cheerios.  In the video, people turn mundane tasks into enjoyable moments of bonding and connection.  In this way, Cheerios is able to capture the mantra "It's the little things in life that matter." 

     Cheerios is owned by General Mills, a company known for its consumable products such as: Lucky Charms, Suddenly Salad, and Hamburger Helper.  While all of these products have great brand awareness, General Mills facing a challenge that many other large mass-consumption companies face.  This challenge is to make an ordinary product stand out among the ocean of substitute products.  Many companies in this industry rely on spending large amounts of money on advertising to create that brand recognition.  I think that General Mill has been in the game so long that they know exactly how to reach their target audience as well as create a connection with them.  Along with a solid "vanilla-product" advertising campaign, the company also has an aesthetically appealing website.  To conclude, I would like to say that although Cheerios is doing a good job of mass-advertising, they would benefit from doing a great job of narrow-casting to their key customers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog